If only we could take the Benihana experience at home!
But of course, we can’t, because it entails purchasing teppanyaki grills and having the butler service of a Hibachi chef 😀 I’m really gaga over Benihana’s chicken fried rice. I can’t even remember how many bowls I’ve consumed each time we dined in their restaurant.
One fine day, I did a search on possible recipes that would be close to their fried rice, and I was very happy to see so many! After a few tweaks, I am happy to share my Benihana fried rice recipe with you. This is as close as I remember the taste, and I have increased the quantity of the ingredients, in case you are feeding an army.
Table of Contents
- 1 Missing Benihana’s Chicken Fried Rice
- 2 My Version Of Benihana’s Chicken Fried Rice
- 3 Benihana’s Fried Rice Recipe
- 4 What Is The Best Protein For Your Benihana Fried Rice?
- 5 Can I Make This Benihana Fried Rice Gluten-free?
- 6 Some Recipe Notes
- 7 Frequently Asked Questions
- 8 What Kind Of Cooking Oil Does Benihana Use?
- 9 How Do You Make Benihana’s?
- 10 Do You Boil Rice Before Making Fried Rice?
- 11 How Much Is Benihana Fried Rice?
- 12 Conclusion
Missing Benihana’s Chicken Fried Rice
We had a great time when I visited with loved ones a couple times. With amazing food, a great experience, and at least one location in each state, there’s no wonder that this well-known Japanese chain has a strong presence throughout the US.
It is Benihana’s ability to entertain diners that sets it apart from other teppanyaki-style restaurants in the United States. A Benihana chef will engage in humorous and silly chatter with diners, flip eggs off of spatulas, do clever knife tricks, and cook for the entire table while they are at it.
My Version Of Benihana’s Chicken Fried Rice
It is fairly easy to recreate Benihana’s fried rice at home. One very important thing to note is that we recommend to have rice cooked beforehand. Cold rice works better than freshly-cooked for fried rice recipes, but of course you can use freshly-cooked rice. Just allow it to cool down before using in this recipe. This dish also uses fresh green onions and carrots.
Like I said, it’s super delicious and easy to make at home, no tricks required, only lots of Benihana’s garlic butter, which I also made a recipe for! You can also substitute other protein for the chicken as you wish ☺ There will be a lot of tossing so you might need some handy spatulas or even a good wok. It’ll be fun cooking this fried rice!
- 2 pounds sliced chicken breast fillets
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons of safflower oil
- 3 tablespoons of Benihana garlic butter (adjust as needed)
- 4 cups of cooked rice, preferably prepared a day in advance
- ½ cup of sliced spring onions
- ½ cup of diced white onion
- ½ cup of diced carrots
- 4 eggs
- 4 tablespoons of sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons of oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons of fish sauce
Let’s Get Cooking!
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the safflower oil in a pan. Make sure you are using a pan deep or wide enough to handle the tossing that you would do with this fried rice!
- Place the seasoned chicken in the pan and cook until brown and opaque. Add the Benihana garlic butter, and toss the chicken around to be fully coated with the butter. Transfer chicken on a plate and set aside.
- With the same pan, sauté the white onions, spring onions, and carrots, until the white onions have a translucent color. Transfer them on a plate and set aside.
- Wipe your pan clean. Ready to mix everything together
- First, scramble the eggs. Then, add your rice. Toss for about a minute.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and keep tossing until the rice is brown and coated with all the amazing seasonings. Garnish with additional spring onions. Serve immediately.
What Is The Best Protein For Your Benihana Fried Rice?
For me, chicken is the best protein. But you can definitely substitute chicken for seafood, pork, or beef.
Can I Make This Benihana Fried Rice Gluten-free?
Yes, you absolutely can! Just substitute the following:
- Use coconut aminos or gluten-free soy sauce for the regular soy sauce
- Replace cooked rice with your favorite substitute, such as cauliflower rice
- You can also use avocado oil for the safflower oil as preferred
- Note: This is an iron wok. It is normal to be rust. Cleaning in time and keeping it dry can reduce rust. But it is best to coat...
- What You Get：12.5-inch carbon steel pan, wooden lid, wok spatula, 12.5-inch cooking chopsticks, and Loofah pot brush. Worry-free...
- Easy to use: Compared with cast iron pan and stainless steel pans, the woks & stir-fry pans are light in weight and extremely fast...
- It's Durable: There is no chemical coating and PFOA.So it more durable than the coated pan. In addition, we adopt nitriding...
- Suitable For All Stoves: The flat base makes sure this cooking wok suits for any stovetop. Including electric stoves, induction...
Last update on 2021-09-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Some Recipe Notes
- This Benihana fried rice should be stored in the fridge for no more than three days, and the best way to do so is to leave it in a pan and cook it, so that it finishes cooking as quickly as possible. The idea is to store it in small containers to allow it to cool rapidly. The risk of contamination increases when cooked rice is left at the countertop for too long.
- Rinsing the rice before cooking is vital, as the final product will be gluey and starchy. It’s important to allow the rice to cook and rise overnight, after which it can hold its shape better. Soft, newly cooked rice doesn’t do well in frying, and can easily end up with a mushy texture.
- Once you start working on your fried rice, it doesn’t take long to cook. Feel free to cook the vegetables and chicken (or meat) separately, and then combine them later, as they may have longer cooking times than the rest of the ingredients.
- You can also replace white rice with brown rice, but brown rice generally takes longer to cook, and does not do really well in terms of absorbing flavors.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Kind Of Cooking Oil Does Benihana Use?
Benihana means “safflower”, which is the exact type of oil that the restaurant uses in its dishes.
How Do You Make Benihana’s?
Go ahead and make this fried rice recipe at home, or you can also prepare other meats or dishes using my take on Benihana’s garlic butter.
Do You Boil Rice Before Making Fried Rice?
Yes, you need to boil rice. I recommend preparing the rice a day ahead, it makes so much difference!
You can still, of course, use freshly-cooked rice. Just make sure it is cooled before using it in fried rice recipes.
How Much Is Benihana Fried Rice?
Benihana’s fried rice currently costs around $5 for one cup.
Try this recipe and I guarantee it could be a weekly thing for you and your family – or even more frequent than that! Which protein do you use for your fried rice? Do you add other seasonings in making your own? Let me hear your take on this recipe by leaving a comment below. Thank you once again for dropping by, until the next dish!
Other Recipes Worth Trying: